Wednesday, March 13, 2013

It is a ....

Landsknecht!
Landsknechte were German or Swiss mercenaries in the 30 years war.
What makes them so interesting for me is their appearance.
At that time (late 15th to the late 16th century) clothing was strictly regulated and not everybody was allowed to wear everything. There were rules and even laws for what color or clothing item was allowed to whom.
The Landsknechte just started to wear gaudy clothing adopted from the Swiss. They did not have a uniform but depending on their rank they had more or less protective and nice clothing.
Maximilian the I (who is the "father" of the Landsknechte) allowed them to wear their clothes as a perk for their short and brutal life.
One theory about the slits in their vests is that it provided them the necessary room to move while fighting.
Why I mentioned cows in my last post is because the shoes are called "cow mouth shoes" because of their form. So you see, again cow related. ;-)


5 comments:

Drora's minimundo said...

What a wonderful piece of work!
I came quite close with my guess (smile).
Hugs, Drora

Ilona said...

Hi Christine, you have dressed this man wonderful and I have learned a lot about this kind of clothing!
Thanks for sharing!
Warm hugs, Ilona

Giac said...

Hello Christine,
That was fun information. The doll is great and the clothes are just beautiful. It reminds me of the guards at the Vatican. You made the fabric hang very realistically. Terrific work, as usual.
Big hug,
Giac

minwks said...

Hi, yes, the costume does remind me of the Vatican Swiss Guard. I presume their uniforms originate around the same era.
You have done a wonderful job. difficult I am sure to have the costume drape in such small scale.
Regards and Thankyou.
Janine

Lady Jane said...

Well Done... I love this guy and your story that went with him.