Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Krampuslauf

Last weekend hubby and I drove to Schladming, Austria. Schladming is best known for skiing but we went there for their yearly Krampuslauf. A Krampus is
a mythical creature recognized in Alpine countries.[1] According to legend, Krampus accompanies St. Nicholas during the Christmas season, warning and punishing bad children, in contrast to St. Nicholas, who gives gifts to good children.
In the Alpine regions, Krampus is represented by a demon-like creature. Traditionally, young men dress up as the Krampus in Austria and southern Bavaria, especially the market town Berchtesgaden, during the first two weeks of December, particularly on the evening of 5 December, and roam the streets frightening children with rusty chains and bells.[2]  
thank you wikipedia!


It was a huge parade with more than 600 Krampusse walking for hours through this little village. At first I was a bit dissappointed that I couldn't get a place in the first row. But after 10 minutes I was really glad I wasn't in the first row. Because they hit you. I mean, they really do! And it hurts.The whole thing was pretty rough and wild with a lot of alcohol later on and I was glad my 5 year old son wasn't with us.
Nevertheless I enjoyed it immensely. The costumes were great and I got so many ideas for my figures.We stayed the night in a nice hotel and the next day on our way back home we visited Salzburg. Of course we had to eat Salzburger Nockerl.

2 comments:

Lady Jane said...

Wow Im glad we dont have Krampus. My but they are pretty damn scary... Glad you left your child at home. I dont think I like the idea of scareing kids into behaving, they would have to be pretty bad for that, lol... They will make neat figures though... cheers, LJ

Ascension said...

Menois mal que dejaste a tu niƱo en casa, gracias por el video.
besitos ascension