Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Balthasar


I've finished my first figure with a cloth body. He is Balthasar, one of the three kings or wise men.  Usually I make a lot of research for my figures. But this time I deliberately tried to not look at any paintings or description of him. I wanted to make a completely unique Balthasar.

After several attempts with my cloth body patterns I found one that resembles a normal male figure. Ok, he did eat a little bit too much ... but hey ... it's Christmas! All the cookies and family parties. ;-)
So I sewed the body out of special doll fabric (which is stretchy), inserted a wire armature, stuffed it and defined the body with stiches. I did learn that technique years ago from a doll making class I took with Jack Johnston.  I'm not sure that I got it completely right, though. Anyhow I am pretty happy with the result but with the limited time I have I will stick with my clay sculpting I think. If I'm not having the chance to attend a class with Lisa Lichtenfels.;-)

4 comments:

Lady Jane said...

He came out really super!!! Excellent job and a lot of work for sure. Cheers, LJ

MALINIK said...

I like Balthasar, his face looks so alive!
Ina :)

Ascension said...

Me encanta Baltasar, por lo general es el preferido de los niños y a ti te ha quedado genial.
besitos ascension

Sans! said...

I have always liked your colouring of the clay for skin colour. They look realistic. Your facial expressions too are always interesting. Sometimes, I find myself staring at your doll's face for a unusually long time, mesmerised.

The costume is quite wonderful and remind me of the national costumes of the worlds here.