Saturday, March 13, 2010

Miniaturenart

I had the best day this year so far. I went to the MiniaturenArt. It's a miniature fair in southern Germany.
As I intend to make a name here in Europe I want to learn how to attend these fairs and how good I am. I'm alway's doubting myself and my abilities.
I've never attended a miniature fair before so I didn't know what to expect. It wasn't a big miniature fair. At least I don't think it was. There were about 40 sellers or so. What I didn't expect were the crowds running over me- pushing and elbowing to get the best pieces.
I took my time, looking not only at the merchandise but how sellers put up their stalls.
And I was really really in awe. There were people I've "seen" before. Their work is as fantastic as I expected it to be. But what took me by surprise were the local people you won't find online. There was an older lady makings the most astonishing embroidery. I would love to set up an etsy shop for her and let other people see what she is doing. Then there was a (real size) cabinetmaker from my area who does the nicest little wooden shops. Had to buy one, of course.
And then I chatted with some of the well known miniature artisans:
 http://tonyknott.co.uk/index.php
I don't know if it's because the medieval times are my favourite but he and his miniatures are great. Now I know where I can get my accessories for future mercenaries or knights.


http://miniarche.de/index.html
I'm ogling her website and blog for quite a while already. I love her birds. She had this Bald Eagle I nearly took home with me.

http://www.miniaturen-sadowski.de/
She won the Euro Doll awards for her doll "Miss Marple" . And she is such a funny woman.

http://www.miniglass.de
Can't walk by his stand without buying anything.

3 comments:

Peach Blossom Hill said...

So glad you had a wonderful time and gained self-confidence in the process. Your work is amazing!

I doubt myself and my work constantly and am still searching for my voice--I want to be as good as you are!

Jody

dale said...

Sounds like you had a grand time. :)

The miniature show near me is huge, it can really take both days to see it all.

Glad you found some new artists.

CWPoppets said...

You are to humble Jody. Your little paintings are exquisite. And your sofa's are perfect. I could never do these things.
Dale, next goal is to visit a bigger fair or even participating ...